a robust method for vegetation classification

This is the base forum for anyone wanting to discus any aspect of PATN or Pattern Analysis.
ryansims

a robust method for vegetation classification

Postby ryansims » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:40 am

Hi there,

I am new to using PATN and I have a mountain of a task ahead of me, so if someone (and i invite all experts to comment) could take the time help i would be extremely grateful.

Can someone explain (step by step for dummies) a robust method of analysis to allow me to classify vegetation according to each site's cover abundance score. I have a very large data set of 599 sites with 1,500 species.

Please help.....

Ryan

lee
Site Admin

Re: a robust method for vegetation classification

Postby lee » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:18 am

You are basically asking for a summary of the domain called Pattern Analysis: Something that I used to run a semester course on at the University of Canberra. Are there good textbooks on the subject? Unfortunately no. And yes, I should write one but have always found more productive avenues to invest time in (e.g., http://spatial.ala.org.au).

The Help file with PATN is comprehensive and does have browse sequences that permit stepping through the functions in a logical manner. The best idea for getting a good idea on how to approach an analysis is probably the case studies on the PATN web site: http://www.patn.com.au/examples/default.htm. There is a general case study using socio-economic data and another using a very nice biological dataset with associated environmental parameters for Antarctic benthic critters. If you work your way through these, I'd hope that you would get a good idea on the strategies and reasoning.

I'm open and then some to other chiming in here...

Lee
Lee Belbin
Director, Blatant Fabrications Pty Ltd

Return to “PATN Discussion”